One of the first things on your wedding planning to-do list should be to secure your reception venue. This will help you lock in a wedding date and you will need that date to check availability when organising other suppliers, like a wedding photographer.
Queensland Brides magazine has put together a list of 100 helpful questions to ask a reception venue.
Ps. Check out my photo in Queensland Brides from Holly & Robby’s Boomerang Farm wedding !!!
100 QUESTIONS TO ASK WEDDING RECEPTION VENUES
First up, there are two big questions that need answering before you go any further:
1. How many guests does your venue hold and does it accommodate our guest list?
2. Is our date available?
If the answer to both of these is yes, then you can crack on with the other 98 questions…
3. Do you have a one-wedding-per-day policy and will we have exclusive use of the venue?
4. If not, how many other weddings are (or can be) booked for the same day and how will this impact on the space or time allocated to us?
5. Are there special rates for an off-season date, certain days of the week or certain times of the day?
6. How much time do we have at the venue and is there a charge for additional hours?
7. How flexible are your packages? Can substitutions be made?
8. Do you have recommended vendors and if so, are we able to use other vendors not on your list?
9. Are there any changes planned to your venue before our wedding? For example, renovations or painting.
10. What’s the backup plan in case of inclement weather or other unforeseeable circumstances?
11. Is there an in-house venue wedding coordinator? (NB this is someone works on behalf of the venue to make sure everything goes to plan. A wedding planner someone else you’d hire yourself separately to plan/coordinate <all> elements of your wedding).
12. What will they actually take care of – what services are included with the venue wedding coordinator, and are there additional charges for any of this?
13. Will they be there on the day too, and not just in the lead-up to our wedding?
14. If not, who will be our go-to person and can we meet them before booking as well?
15. How early can we (and any vendors) arrive for set-up?
16. Do you offer assistance with the set up of the reception room,and is this included in the price or is there an additional charge?
17. What sort of tables and chairs do you have and is there more than one option?
18. Are there different table arrangement options?
19. What tableware/silverware/glassware/linen is provided as part of the package?
20. How about decorating items/stationery? For example, menus, centrepieces, lighting, red carpet, cake stand.
21. Can we move things around, or do we have to leave everything as is?
22. Can we bring in our own decorating items and are there any limitations?
23. Do you have signage to direct guests to the wedding?
24. Who’s responsible for taking all of the decorations down after the wedding?
25. When do decorator items that don’t belong to the venue need to be collected?
26. Can we hold our ceremony at the venue as well, and is there an additional charge for this?
27. What room/areas and decorating options are available for ceremonies?
28. If the ceremony takes place in the same room as the reception, what’s the transition plan?
29. What are the charges for holding the ceremony and reception at the venue or are they included in the package?
30. Does the venue have an in-house caterer?
31. Do we have to use them, or are we able to use our own caterer?
32. If so, are kitchen facilities available to them?
33. Are we able to do a tasting before deciding on the menu?
34. Is this complimentary, included in the package price or an additional charge?
35. What are the facilities for a cocktail hour between the ceremony and reception?
36. Is there a cost for alterations to standard menus?
37. What time will the meal served, with what intervals between each course?
38. Do you cater for special dietary requirements? For example, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, coeliacs, allergies.
39. Are vendor meals included? (e.g. for the photographer)
40. How is alcohol priced? Is it on a consumption basis or included in a package?
41. How much wine/Champagne/tea and coffee is included per person and do packages include spirits and a complimentary Champagne for a toast?
42. What wines are on offer and what are the upgrade costs?
43. Are there any additional charges for bar staff or waiting staff?
44. Are we able to bring our own alcohol?
45. If so, do you charge a corkage fee?
46. How late will the bar be open and what happens if we run out of drinks/package before then?
47. What’s the average bar tab for our size guest list?
48. Can we bring in a cake from an outside baker?
49. Is there a charge for cutting and serving the cake?
50. Are there any consequences for not fulfilling a food and beverage minimum?
51. Is there an option for a dinner the night before or a brunch/BBQ the day after the wedding?
52. Is there a dance floor and how many people does it hold?
53. Where is it, and does anything have to be moved to create the dance floor?
54. Is there room for a DJ or live band?
55. Where does the DJ or band set up and can they do it beforehand, or does it have to be during the changeover?
56. Will the band have to go through the reception to set up, or is there separate access to the room?
57. Are there any noise restrictions that we should know about?
58. Do you have a sound system with speaker or will that need to be rented?
59. Can we hook up an iPod or laptop to your sound system?
60. Do you have microphones that we can use for speeches?
61. What if we want unusual entertainment? For example, fireworks or fire dancers.
62. What time will our guests have to leave the venue?
63. Are there any penalties for staying later?
64. Who is responsible for setting up and tearing down the decor, and when will it be completed?
65. When do we have to remove any decorating items that we’ve brought ourselves?
GET THE DETAILS
66. Can the bridal party get ready at the venue?
67. Is there enough onsite parking for our guests and is it complimentary?
68. If there’s not enough parking onsite, is there an alternative nearby?
69. Is public transportation easily accessible from the venue?
70. Is there access for the elderly and disabled?
71. Is the venue child-friendly?
72. Are there any facilities for entertaining children?
73. How many bathrooms are there? Is this enough for the amount of guests we have?
74. Is there air conditioning?
75. Is there a coat check available?
76. Is there somewhere secure for wedding gifts to be stored and can someone from the venue help move gifts from the reception area to the designated space?
77. Is there an outdoor area for cocktails/mingling?
78. Is there a designated smoking area?
79. Are there any restrictions for the photographer/videographer?
GET A ROOM
80. Is there accommodation onsite?
81. If there is accommodation onsite, is a bridal suite included in the price/package?
82. Are there discounted rates for guests?
83. Do you offer a discount for booking multiple rooms?
84. What is check out time?
85. If there is no onsite accommodation, are there other hotels/B&Bs in the area?
86. What are the contract terms and exactly what is included in the fees?
87. Are there any hidden costs? For example, gratuities, cleaning fees, overtime charges, insurance fees?
88. Does the contract have anything special in it we need to work through?
89. What are the payment terms?
90. What deposit do we need to pay to secure our wedding date and when is it due?
91. Is there a payment schedule and, if so, when are the first and last payments due?
92. What forms of payment do you accept?
93. What’s your cancellation policy?
94. Is the deposit refundable in case of cancellation?
95. What costs are incurred if the numbers on the day differ to the final numbers?
96. Do we need any insurance or permits?
97. Do you have public liability insurance?
98. What happens if you go out of business before the wedding?
99. What’s the last possible date that we can make changes?
100. Are there any other questions we haven’t asked, but you know we should?
THAT’S YOUR 100 QUESTIONS TO ASK A WEDDING VENUE, PHEW!
DID WE MISS ANYTHING? IF SO POP THOSE QUESTIONS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
Source : Queensland Brides – article “100 Must Ask Questions For Your Would Be Wedding Reception Venue”
Hopefully this helps ease your wedding planning stress lovers.
ARE YOU STRESSING OUT PLANNING THE WEDDING?
Great news, there’s a stack more tips from where this article came from! In fact an entire library of resources for planning your wedding. Consider it your personal e-library. Grab a cuppa or a wine and dive on in. Get reading …
All photographs are the property of and copyrighted to Deb Boots. Please do not reproduce or share without written consent unless you are the couple or family and friends of the couple.
If you are a wedding supplier involved in this wedding and wish to use any of these images for the purposes of advertising your business this is classified as commercial use and is subject to licensing (read about commercial use here). I’m more than happy for vendors to use images, but please ask permission first! Please contact Deb Boots here